Cub Scouting in Sri Lanka
Cub Scouting was founded by Lord Baden Powell in 1916 and is a popular movement in Sri Lanka. Cub Scouts in Sri Lanka are between the ages of 7 and 11 years.
The Mission of Scouting is to contribute to the education of young people, through a value system based on the Scout Promise and Law, to help build a better world where people are self-fulfilled as individuals and play a constructive role in society. This mission applies to the Cub Scouts of Sri Lanka and contributes towards creating a better world even through people as young as the age of 7 years.
Join Cub Scouting
The Cub Scout programme is designed for those between the ages of 7 and 11 years and trains them to be active citizens in their homes, schools and communities. Additionally, Cub Scouting is best know to have a FUN youth programme for young ones and provides great opportunity for personal growth even at a young age.
Message to Cub Scout Leaders
Adult leaders play a pivotal role in World Scout movement and is no different in the Cub Scouting programme in Sri Lanka. Leaders aid the youth through support and guidance. Adult leadership in the movement has been prevalent since the founding of Cub Scouting and the founder Lord Baden-Powell’s quote applies greatly to adult leaders, “The most worth-while thing is to try to put happiness into the lives of others.” The Cub Scout movement is the ideal place for this!
History of Cub Scouting
The Scout Movement was founded by Lord Baden Powell in 1907 for boys above the age of 12 years. One day, when he was inspecting the Scouts at a rally, he noticed the presence of some young boys. When inquired by him, the boys responded, “We are young Scouts.” Upon this, the founder came to the realisation that boys of younger ages too should be a part of the Scout Movement.
He then introduced Wolf Cubs based on Rudyard Kipling’s ‘’The Jungle Book” in 1916.
That same year in the month of March, Mr. S. Wickramaratne introduced this new Wolf Cubs section to Sri Lanka at Richmond College, Galle. From 18 boys upon its establishment it soon grew and by July that year spread to two other areas of Sri Lanka.
The Founder of Scouting in Sri Lanka, Mr. F. G. Stevens
Francis George Stevens was a British civil engineer who founded Scouting in Sri Lanka. In 1912, Stevens founded the first recorded Scout troop at Christ Church College, Matale. In 1914 he established the 1st Galle Mahinda Scout Group at Mahinda College, Galle.
Important events in the history of Cub Scouting in Sri Lanka
- 1916 – Cub Scouting started for the first time in Sri Lanka at Richmond College, Galle.
- 1921- Lord Baden Powell’s first visit to Sri Lanka and more than 3000 scouts and cub scouts welcomed him.
- 1926 – During this decade cub scouting was spread to Galle, Matale, Kandy, Colombo and Northern districts. By the end of 1926, the number of cub scouts in Sri Lanka passed 1600.
- 1941 – From the 17th to the 23rd of December, the first Wood Badge Course was held with the participation of 18 leaders and in 1945, 8 leaders joined the 2nd Wood Badge Course.
- In 1952, at the Scout Jamboree was held at the primary college ground in Royal College Colombo, Cub Scouts showed their talents at the ‘Panaroma’ concert.
- 1956 – 40 years of Cub Scouting in Sri Lanka, by this time Cub Scouting was spread even to rural areas of the island.
- 1962 – At the Golden Jubilee Jamboree held at Race Course Colombo, the Cub Scouts had an amazing outdoor day.
- 1966 – The Golden Jubilee year for the cub scouts and lot of events took place. At the closing ceremony of the Golden Jubilee, the Cub Scouts performed an act called ‘Wolf Cub Tattoo’
- 1971 – with amendments to the parliamentary act No. 13 of Ceylon Scout Council the cub scout law, promise and salute changed.
- 1973 – The Silver Jubilee Wood Badge Course was held.
- 1973 – A carnival named ‘Children’s World’ was held at the Scout Headquarters.
- 1975 – 1st National Cuboree was held from the 14th to 16th of March at Galle
- 1984– 2nd National Cuboree was held from the 21st to the 23rd of September at Royal College Colombo.
- 1986 – 3rd National Cuboree was held from the 7th to the 9th of November at Richmond College, Galle.
- 1987 – The first Cub Scout ‘Indaba’ conference was held for the Cub Scout Leaders at Matale.
- 1990 – At the SAARC Jamboree held at the Viharamahadevi Park Colombo, a Cub Scout day called ‘The Cub World’ was held.
- 1993 – 4th National Cuboree was held from the 23rd to the 24th of September at Kalutara.
- 1996 – 5th National Cuboree was held from the 11th to the 13th of October at St. Anthony’s College Wattala.
- 2000 – 6th National Cuboree was held from the 28th to the 30th of April at Maristella grounds, Negombo.
- 2005 – 7th National Cuboree was held from the 30th of September to the 2nd of October at Bogambara grounds, Kandy.
- 2007 – 8th National Cuboree was held from the 27th to the 29th of April at Vincent Dias grounds, Badulla.
- 2009 – On the 23rd of January, girls entered Cub Scouting.
- 2010 – 9th National Cuboree was held from the 27th to the 29th of December at Lunawa College grounds, Hambanthota.
- 2013 – 10th National Cuboree was held from the 13th to the 15th of September at St. Anthony’s College, Wattala.
- 2016 – 11th National Cuboree (Centenary Year of Cub scouting in Sri Lanka) was held from 12th to 14th of May at Richmond College, Galle.
- 2019 – 12th National Cuboree was held from 6th to 8th April at Siyene College of Education, Veyangoda.
Cub Scout Award
Spiritual & Cultural Section
Assistant Chief Commissioner (Cub)
Mrs. M C Wathsala Wijewickrama
077 293 0805
National Cub Scout Programme Team
Contact Detail Of Assistant District Commissioner's of Cub Scout Section
|Akk/ Kalmunai||Mrs M Selverajah||778006902|
|Ampara||Mrs S A Chandrawathi||711365806|
|Anuradhapura||Ms W A R Manel||707625455|
|Avissawella||Ms Jenita 0362270075||718073894|
|Badulla||Mrs Harshani Mahakumarage||771548629|
|Batticaloa||Ms S Thamilselvan||779606186|
|Chillaw||MS A N N Priyadarshani Marasinghe||076 2647601|
|Colombo||Ms. Chandrika Abesundara||077 3583735|
|Galle||Ms Ambika Gunasekara||779023491|
|Gampaha||Ms A H Iroma Perera||716490235|
|Hambantota||Ms Sujatha Rajapaksha||472240437/0713923299|
|Homagama||Ms Yogini Costa||771289848|
|Jaffna||Ms I Thevamithran||776668968|
|Kalutara||Ms Padmini Kularathne||077 0863344|
|Kandy||Ms B M Anula Basnayake||779135966|
|Kankesanthurai||Ms Sarojinidevi Kanagaarthnam||771158293|
|Kegalle||Ms M J A Mallika||713534439|
|Kilinochchi||Mr P Angasan||773760531|
|Kurunegala||Ms G A W Ariyamala||717103034|
|Mannar||Mr J. Nithiyananthan||770232497|
|Matale||Ms W A Suneetha||787269250|
|Matara||Ms P Arnuna Pathmini||711064854|
|Monaragala||Ms Niramala Dassanayake||718141388|
|M/Piliyandala||Ms Amitha Umayangani||0721573230/0784303152|
|Nawalapitiya||Ms W S Karunarathne||077 7447076/077 7257076|
|Negombo||MS Candita Fernando||718202492|
|Nuwara-Eliya||Ms. Lakmali Priyadarshani||071 1837079|
|P/Horana||Ms Dhanawathi Perera||382232941/0717631709|
|Polonnaruwa||R A C Rupika Gunathilaka||0717335484/0272222565|
|Point Pedro||Ms V Piratheepan|
|Puttalam||Ms W M L Pathmalatha Menike||718255217|
|Ratnapura||Ms Ashoka Pathmini||0774608452/0454922769|
|Trincomalee||Ms Prateepa Sathesain||773081630|
|Vavuniya||Mrs A P Selveraja|
|W/Ja-ela||Ms Dammi Nandiratne||077 3418086|
|Wennappuwa||Ms Sryakanthi Law||771999766|
12th National Cubboree
The 12th National Cubboree was held from the 6th to the 8th of April 2019 at the Siyana School in Gampaha. 8000 Cub Scouts from around the country as well as overseas participated in three fun filled days of activity.
District Commissioner’s Conference
The District Commissioner’s Conference was held on the 11th of July 2020 at the Kothalawela Defence University.
“Life without adventure would be deadly dull“
-Lord Baden Powell