District : Colombo
Province : Western
Present District Commissioner : Mr.Suren Wikkramatilleke
Appointed Date : 01-04-2013
About Colombo Scout Association
Scouting started in the Colombo District at Christ Church in Galle Face on 14th June in 1914 by Mr. F.G. Stevens. He was an Engineer from England and worked in the public & works Department at the time. The Scout Troop was named lst Colombo (Governors Own) in honor of the Governor Robert Chalmeer‘s at the time.
A massive Scout Rally for the Western Province was held at Havelock Park in 1916. An All Ceylon Rally followed in 1917 at the same venue. Scouting quickly spread out ofﬁcially to nearby schools like St Thomas‘ College, Wesley College, Carey College over the next few years.
Mr. F.G. Stevens acted as the Colonial Commissioner since inception. In 1924 the Colombo District Scout Assocation was formed with Mr. Waldo Sansoni as the District Commissioner. He was succeeded by Mr. L.A. Hayter and the Colombo District has had 22 District Commissioners in all. Mr. Charles Dymoke Green was the longest serving District Commissioner for 10 years followed by Brig C.P. Jayawadene and Mr. Kingsley C. Dassanaike serving 6 years each. The present period is 5 years.
The ﬁrst District Camp was held from 7th 9th August 1949 at the Royal Primary Grounds. This was organized by Capt Vernon W. Halpe and Mr. Ali Ossen. The next was in Jun 1959 at the Divinity School Grounds organized by Mr. Rutnam Abraham. This District Camp was an annual event ever since barring the years of turmoil or unrest in the city. The camp was named as the “Colombo like the Divinity School Grounds or Havelock Golf Links. In 1970, the 13th Colombo Camporee was held at Vihara Maha Devi Park and now has been the permanent abode since then. We have had 48vColombo Camporees conductecd under special themes up to 2011.
The First Ceylon Jamboree was held in koombi kele, Colombo in 1952. In 1962, the Golden Jubilee Jamboree to celebrate 50 years of Scouting in Sri Lanka too was held in Colombo at the Race course.
The Colombo District conducts annual Scout craft competitions for Cub Scouts, Junior Scouts and Senior Scouts for the C. M. P. Wanigatunga Flag, The Mayor’s Flag and the Brig. C.P. Jayawrdena Shield respectively each year. In addition we conduct the annual Swimming Meet for the Nanda Abeynaike Memorial Shield and the Sports Gala for the Bartleets Shield in the interest of our Scouts. In Religious programs are conducted each year for the four main religions in the country.
In the Colombo Scout District Badge is a picture of a Tree full of Green Leaves and a White Bird perched on its branch and inserted into the Coat of arms in gold, The Badge is dark blue in Colour. In 1930 Colombo District got its Headquarters located at Baladaksha Mawatha with the National Association. With the takeover of the buildings in 1977 for the expansion of the Defence establishment, we moved into the present location at Chittampalam A. Gardiner Mawatha in Colombo-2. The Colombo District now has a fully ﬂedged Camping facility at Salawa, in Kosgama catering to the needs of Scouts & camping enthusiasts in the country.